Develop solutions for a growing industry
Cities and their growing populations depend on infrastructure to provide energy, water, sanitation, telecommunications and healthcare. Developing and maintaining infrastructure solutions that are safe, affordable, reliable, environmentally sustainable and resilient over the long term is a challenge of incredible complexity and breadth.
There is a pressing need for professionals who are able to develop innovative solutions for our urban systems. Graduates of the MEL in Urban Systems will be uniquely positioned to do so, bridging the gap between urban planning, engineering and project management.
Deepen your technical and leadership skills
The MEL in Urban Systems degree was developed in close collaboration with industry partners. They told us they need professionals with the technical and leadership skills to develop innovative solutions across sectors, manage multi-disciplinary teams and lead collaborative projects.
The combination of technical expertise and leadership development makes the MEL in Urban Systems degree unique and highly relevant in today’s business environment.
Pursue opportunities and advance your career
Our graduates will be in high demand locally, nationally and internationally by a wide range of employers – from municipalities and utilities to transportation providers and engineering consulting firms. – seeking technical experts who can also manage and lead teams. Graduates will take on roles as city engineers, management consultants, city planners, policy advisors and entrepreneurs. Graduates of this program started in positions, such as:
- Transportation EIT
- Project Initiation Assistant Manager
Read some of our alumni stories of how our graduates have gone on to excel their careers with their UBC MEL degree.
Stand out from the crowd
The MEL in Urban Systems is a unique degree that empowers you to develop the sector-relevant interdisciplinary technical skills in demand by top employers. Distinct from other programs in Canada and internationally, the MEL in Urban Systems will create technically proficient managers who have the administrative and leadership skills needed to lead multidisciplinary teams.
The Urban Systems program will differentiate you from your colleagues. You will:
- be immersed in a dynamic research environment at UBC – one of the world’s top public research universities
- learn from world-renowned faculty, including program director Dr. Martino Tran and Dr. Penelope Gurstein
- collaborate with government, industry and community partners – including the City of Vancouver, BC Hydro and Stantec, who were instrumental in the design of the program
- take courses with a cohort of like-minded peers – a group of engaged and ambitious professionals working in industries that include advanced materials manufacturing, clean energy engineering, software, green bio-products, integrated water management, naval architecture and marine engineering, and seniors care
- develop professional networks with top researchers, industry partners and motivated graduate students
Studying at UBC within the MEL degree provides students with opportunities to engage in research projects that will enhance their learning and skills. For …Read More