How to Apply
UBC’s MEL and MHLP Professional Leadership Master Degrees are designed as one-year degrees starting in January. We are committed to finding practicing professionals who are motivated and eager to deepening their technical and leadership abilities. With our demanding selection process we want to ensure building dynamic and diverse cohorts and providing you with a high quality master’s program.
Please read the following information regarding:
The UBC MEL and MHLP Professional Leadership Master Degrees admits on a rolling basis with three application rounds.
The online application portal is now open and accepting submissions for all January 2020 applications.
- 1st Round: May 1, 2019 (Decision by June 1, 2019)
- 2nd Round: August 1, 2019 (Decision by September 1, 2019)
- Final Round: October 1, 2019 (Decision by November 1, 2019)*
*We highly recommend international students to apply by May 1st to ensure plenty of time to allow for the processing of study permits. Please read the information for International Students and for current study permit processing times.
From experience, we have found that if you are from the following countries you should allow extra time for your visa processing: India, Iran, China, Brazil and Nigeria. To ensure your success in starting the program in January, Final round international applications from countries which have a long visa processing time, will be considered on a case by case basis. Please Contact us if you need any support.
To ensure that your visa applications are processed in time for the start of the program, we strongly recommend all international students submitting their application no later than the August 1st, 2019 deadline.
- You can submit your application only once in a calendar year.
- You can save your application and continue working on it at a later time.
- Recommendation: Start your application as soon as possible to get familiar with the application system. Contact us if you need any support.
- All documents (including your reference letters) must be submitted before the deadline to be considered for the given round.
- Recommendation: Submit your documents well before the deadline. Only upon submitting your application and paying the application fee, your references will be emailed through the application portal to provide their reference letter. Referees with free web-based email providers, such as Gmail and Hotmail, cannot access the application portal and can only submit their reference via postal mail. Until we receive your references, your submission is incomplete and you risk missing the deadline.
- If you (or your referees) submit the last document after the deadline of the given round, your application will be transferred to the next round within a calendar year.
- When you apply in a given round, your application will be assessed against other applicants to that round. If you are not successful, your application may be refused, or wait-listed and held for review in subsequent rounds. You will be notified of the status of your application.
- Recommendation: Apply to the earliest round possible for admission consideration.
Looking to apply to the UBC Professional Leadership Master Degrees? Take a look at this simple 5 step video to help you understand the key stages and application requirements.
- Eligibility Requirements
- Review the Eligibility Requirements
- Application Checklist
- Make sure you have the supporting documentation needed to complete your application.
- Applications are not reviewed by the admissions committee until all of the required documentation is received online. Review the Application Checklist.
- Apply Online
- Apply online on the Online Application portal.
- Upload all additional supporting documentation for your application. Instructions are on the application form.
- Pay a non-refundable application fee to submit your application to the program (domestic students CAD 102.00; international students CAD 165.00).
- You can log in to your application to check if your three references have been submitted. You can also change a referee online.
- After Submission
- The program directors will only review your application if it is completed (all references and documentation has been submitted and uploaded to your application).
- A decision will be made one month after the deadline of each application round.
- You will be notified when a decision has been made. Check your email junk mail to ensure you haven’t missed a notification.
- Accept Offer of Admission
- Read your conditional offer letter and the attached information very carefully to know the next steps to accept and complete your application.
- Submit a non-refundable CAD 5,000 deposit to confirm your acceptance of the admission offer. This deposit will be credited to your first tuition payment. How to pay this deposit will be in the information included with your conditional offer of admission.
- Arrange to have your official transcripts sent directly to the UBC MEL and MHLP Professional Leadership Master Degrees office (see Submitting Your Documents for further details).
- Submit official English test scores or evidence of your degree being taught in English (if applicable).
- Fulfil any other conditions described in your conditional offer of admission.
- Once we have received your non-refundable deposit and documentation, we will send you an unconditional letter of acceptance, along with a welcome package and arrival checklist.
Join us and deepen your knowledge in your technical specialty and propel your career forward.