Lead change in a high-growth industry
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering is a professional degree for engineers who want to excel and drive innovation. This hybrid master’s program combines graduate-level engineering courses with UBC Sauder’s Robert H. Lee Graduate School courses – giving you the skills and confidence to take your career in new directions.
The shipbuilding industry is growing worldwide, and there is increasing demand for talented engineers to design the next generation of vessels and components and put innovative ideas practice. Governments and industry organizations need engineers with broad technical knowledge of all facets of ship design, operation and maintenance. They’re also looking for individuals who have the business insight and interpersonal skills to lead multidisciplinary teams and manage complex projects.
Choose engineering and business
The MEL in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering offers a unique combination of technical and business classes – giving you the strategic skills to play a leading role in forward-thinking organizations. Engineering courses are a dynamic balance between academic theory and real-world industrial and commercial practices. Business courses offered by the top-ranked UBC Sauder School of Business give you a solid foundation in business strategy and innovation, operations and logistics, project management, and organizational leadership.
Gain a competitive edge
In this 12-month program you will:
- acquire the skills to manage complex shipbuilding design and procurement programs and become fully qualified in ship project management
- sharpen your technical and analytical skills through a project-based curriculum that covers all stages of the industry value chain
- participate in either a 12-week co-op work program or the e@UBC Lean LaunchPad Accelerator Program – enabling you to take an entrepreneurial idea to a validated business model
- study under renowned faculty and collaborate with industry partners at one of the world’s top 40 universities
- expand your professional network while collaborating with other MEL students
- gain the fundamental business, project management and interpersonal skills to advance your career and confidently take on positions of increased responsibility
Learn more about this innovative professional master’s degree from our students and professors.