The MEL and MHLP degrees are for practising professionals who have completed an undergraduate degree and have several years of work experience in a related field.
- Undergraduate degree with an overall average of 76% (Learn more about UBC’s GPA equivalencies as required for master’s programs including the MEL and MHLP programs.)
- Document proving your current citizenship (usually a passport or other citizenship document from your country) or your Canadian permanent residency
- Relevant work experience as outlined below
|Program||Program Specific Requirements|
|Advanced Materials Manufacturing||
|Clean Energy Engineering||
|Dependable Software Systems||
|High Performance Buildings||
|Integrated Water Management||
|Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering||
|Sustainable Process Engineering||
For success in the program, applicants must be able to speak, comprehend and write fluently in English.
If you completed your degree at a university in a country where English is not the official language, you may need to provide results of an English language proficiency examination as part of your application:
I completed my undergraduate or master’s degree outside of Canada, at an English-speaking university.
If your transcript states that the language of instruction was English, you do not need to complete an English language proficiency test.
If your transcript does not state this, an English language proficiency test is required. Please note, we cannot accept letters from the institution stating the medium of instruction.
I completed my undergraduate or master’s degree in another language.
You will be required to complete an English language proficiency test and provide valid scores.
TOEFL internet-based exam (Test of English as a Foreign Language):
- A minimum score of 90 with minimum component scores of 22 [in reading, listening] and minimum component score of 21 [in writing, speaking
TOEFL paper-based test:
- Minimum score 55 each for reading, listening, and writing, with 4.0 on the Test of Written English (TWE).
- Please note, the computer-based test with the essay and Institutional Testing Report (ITP) is no longer accepted.
Academic IELTS (International English Language Testing Service):
- Minimum overall band score of 6.5 with no other component score less than 6.0.
- Please note, we cannot accept general IELTS test scores.
Students must submit their official test results directly to UBC. Please review the instructions on the submitting your documents to avoid delays and ensure your application is complete.
Other acceptable English language proficiency tests can be found here.
All English language proficiency tests must be taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of your application. During your application, we will accept either official or unofficial results.
I have completed an English language proficiency test, but it is due to expire soon.
Your English language test must have been taken with 24 months of your submission. If your test results will expire soon, you will need to submit both the official and unofficial results with your online application. This will prevent you from having to retake the test. Please submit to: The University of British Columbia, Graduate School Admissions (IELTS) or using code 0965 (TOEFL)