Tuition, Awards and Loans
A master’s degree from UBC Applied Science is an investment in your future. Check out our information regarding
What will it cost?
The full year program tuition fees for 2018 are as follows:
- CAD 28,090.80 for domestic students (Canadian citizens and permanent residents)
- CAD 48,801.40 for international students
Tuition fees are payable in three equal instalments in the first week of January, May and September. If you are granted an admission offer, a non-refundable CAD 5,000 deposit will be required within two months from the offer date to secure your place in the program. This will be applied towards your first tuition instalment in January.
In addition to tuition fees, all students must pay:
- CAD 906 per year in UBC student fees, which includes the mandatory transit U-Pass. Student fees are charged in three equal instalments payable in January, May and September along with your tuition fee.
- CAD 227 per year for the AMS/GSS Extended Health Plan. You must pay your AMS/GSS Extended Health Plan fee in full in January. There are opt-out provisions for students with equivalent personal insurance.
- All new international students must also pay an annual CAD 180 i-Med fee (payable in full in January).
You can read more about these fees on the UBC Student Services website.
UBC of Applied Science offers a limited number of merit-based awards of up to CAD 10,000 to MEL and MHLP students in each application round. You do not need to submit a separate application. Your application will only be considered for an award in the round you applied for. Successful recipients will be notified before the program starts in January.
All aspects of your application will be considered for this merit-based award, including your professional experience and development, your references, your statement of intent etc…
Aside from the merit-based award, there are no other scholarships, grants or funding offered by UBC for MEL or MHLP students. Students who require financial assistance are encouraged to look for external scholarships or loans that may be available to them.
If you are a domestic student, you can apply for a federal/provincial student loan. Please complete your loan application as soon as possible after you receive your letter of acceptance, as it typically takes four to five weeks for loan applications to be processed. If you need help completing your student loan application, please visit UBC’s Student Services site for assistance.
Cost of Living Calculator
The cost calculator is a tool to help you estimate and get an idea of your financial situation. It requires selections from you and cannot include every possible scenario. Please use your own judgement. Download: Cost of Living Calculator