Lead change in a high-growth industry
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Urban Systems is a professional degree for systems thinkers who want to address complex infrastructure challenges. This hybrid program combines graduate-level engineering and urban planning courses with UBC Sauder School of Business courses – giving you the skills and confidence to build your career and drive innovation in urban planning.
Public and private sector organizations need urban planners and engineers who have the technical decision-making knowledge to efficiently design and manage urban infrastructure and services. They need people with a multidisciplinary perspective who understand the complex interplay of social, environmental and financial factors of the built environment. They’re also looking for people who have the business perspective and interpersonal skills to lead teams and guide change.
Choose engineering and business
The MEL in Urban Systems program offers a unique combination of technical and business classes – giving you the strategic skills to play a leading role in forward-thinking organizations. Engineering and urban planning courses span the entire industry value chain, from the social context of infrastructure and planning through to engineering and design, project delivery and asset management. Business courses offered by the top-ranked UBC Sauder School of Business give you a solid foundation in business strategy and innovation, operations and logistics, project management, and organizational leadership.
Full-Time and New Part-Time study Option
Students considering the MEL in Urban Systems now have the option to complete their studies in either full-time (12-months) or part-time (24-months) capacity.
Part-time study (available to both domestic & international students) will enable students to split their course load over a longer period of time, while completing all prescribed credits of the MEL degree.
Gain a competitive edge
Over the 12-month/24-months program you will:
- gain a comprehensive understanding of best practices in designing and managing interdependent urban infrastructure systems and services to contribute to more resilient and sustainable cities
- broaden your sector-specific knowledge through a project-based curriculum that covers all stages of community and infrastructure system life cycles
- study under renowned faculty and industry experts
- expand your professional network while collaborating with other MEL students
- gain the fundamental business, project management and interpersonal skills to advance your career and confidently take on positions of increased responsibility
Learn more about this innovative professional master’s degree from our students and professors.