A Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) degree from UBC gives you the credentials and knowledge to confidently take on positions of greater responsibility, make the shift into a new industry sector or launch your own entrepreneurial venture.
Upgrade your technical skills
You’ll deepen your understanding of chemical engineering and associated biotechnologies to develop innovative processes with reduced carbon and energy footprints, as well as products that improve quality of life and the environment.
Learn the language of business
Technical knowledge is not enough. Through courses offered by UBC Sauder’s Robert H. Lee Graduate School, you’ll gain foundational business and entrepreneurial skills, improving your understanding of broad-based management concepts.
Become a confident leader
Leadership development is embedded throughout the program, giving you ongoing opportunities to lead teams and projects and strengthen your interpersonal skills.
Gain a professional master’s degree from a world-class university
UBC is one of the world’s top 40 universities and its programs and professors have a global reputation for excellence. UBC’s Faculty of Applied Science is home to one of North America’s premier engineering schools. The Times Higher Education recently ranked UBC as the world’s leading institution for research on sustainability and UBC is consistently counted among the world’s top universities for research and education in environmental sciences, water, bioenergy, forestry and climate science – all of which are key ingredients in the MEL in Sustainable Process Engineering.
UBC Sauder School of Business is ranked first in Canada and 38th in the world for business and management studies, and the school is known for its commitment to rigorous, relevant and experiential teaching.
Expand your network
As a student in the MEL in Sustainable Process Engineering program, you will grow your personal and professional network by:
- learning from leading researchers and thought leaders in chemistry, chemical engineering and environmental science
- studying alongside motivated peers who bring a diverse range of work experience and perspectives to the program
- taking business courses with students from other professional graduate programs in the Faculty of Applied Science – engaged and ambitious professionals from the multidisciplinary MEL and Master of Health Leadership and Policy programs
- have the opportunity to interact with top researchers at UBC and collaborate with them to launch new businesses through UBC programs such as entrepreneurship@UBC, Creative Destruction Laboratories – West and the BioProducts Institute that offer wide-ranging support to new ventures
- attending workshops and presentations featuring industry leaders (discover our professional development sessions to see the most recent speakers and topics), offering you opportunities throughout the year to gain insight into the latest issues and trends in your field
““We expect that many of our graduates will be entrepreneurs – that they will decide that the best way to introduce paradigm-changing technologies is through commercialization and launching corporate ventures.” – Dr. Vikramaditya Yadav
Professionals who have mastered a technical specialization and the fundamentals of business have a distinct competitive advantage. In demand by both government and industry employers, our graduates are successfully moving into sought-after positions and new industry sectors.
“Our students will graduate with a deeper insight into both how to design the next generation of processes and come up with better ways of doing business.” – Dr. Vikramaditya Yadav