What Will You Learn?
Strong leadership and business skills are essential for career success. As we developed the Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering program, our industry partners told us that they were looking for engineers who combined sector-specific technical skills with strong leadership skills.
While 60 per cent of your classes will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills.
See the big picture
The project-based curriculum covers all stages of the industry value chain. Graduates will explore advanced engineering theories, interdisciplinary knowledge and real-world applications.
Deepen your technical skills
Working in collaboration with faculty and industry experts, you will graduate from this program with the ability to:
- translate client requirements into practical technical specifications
- convert technical specifications into realizable products
- guide the process with technical tools, such as sequencing, blocks and integration;
- optimize operations (in terms of route, speed, course, safety, machinery, maintenance, etc.)
- define engineering requirements and design solutions, and guide execution of mid-life events
- define retirement and design process and guide execution
UBC’s Vancouver campus offers a strategic coastal setting and state-of-the-art research and learning facilities. Program faculty members also maintain vigorous links to the regional marine industry.
Develop as a leader
You will complete courses on project management, organizational leadership, analytics for applied sciences, business acumen for technical leaders, and sustainability and leadership. These classes will empower you to:
- effectively deliver multidisciplinary projects and operational results
- use data for technical and business decision-making
- understand the critical components of how business works
- take on increasingly complex and high-profile leadership positions within organizations
Sharpen your business skills
Professional development workshops, delivered by industry leaders, are offered throughout the year-long program. They also provide opportunities to network with professionals from a wide range of industries, UBC faculty and students in the MEL and MHLP programs. These extra-curricular sessions cover topics such as:
- giving and receiving feedback
- learning how to deliver a successful pitch
- mastering meeting and email etiquette
- assessing and coaching others