Program update: The MEL in Green Bio-Products will not be accepting applications for the 2020 intake. Check our other MEL program offerings for further opportunities.
Lead change in a high-growth industry
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Green Bio-Products is a professional degree for engineers and environmental science graduates who want to excel and drive innovation in the green bio-economy. This hybrid master’s program combines graduate-level engineering courses with UBC Sauder School of Business courses – giving you the skills and confidence to take your career in new directions.
There’s a growing demand for green alternatives to replace oil-based products and fuels in applications that include pharmaceuticals, food packaging, clothing and building materials, as well as cutting-edge carbon nanofibers and biofuels. Leading organizations are seeking professionals with the technical knowledge to maximize the opportunities inherent in these renewable materials and support a shift to a greener future. They’re also looking for individuals who have the business insight and interpersonal skills to lead multidisciplinary teams and guide change.
Choose engineering and business
The MEL in Green Bio-Products offers a unique combination of technical and business classes – giving you the strategic skills to play a leading role in forward-thinking organizations. Engineering courses explore the chemistry and anatomy of the tree and the production pathways to create bio-composites and fuels. Business courses offered by the top-ranked UBC Sauder School of Business give you a solid foundation in business strategy and innovation, operations and logistics, project management and organizational leadership.
Gain a competitive edge
In this 12-month program you will:
- broaden your knowledge of the chemistry and anatomy of the tree, lignocellulosic separation chemistry and the production pathways for bio composites and fuels
- sharpen your technical and analytical skills through a project-based curriculum that covers all stages of the industry value chain and incorporates hands-on learning opportunities
- study under renowned faculty and industry experts at one of the world’s top 40 universities
- expand your professional network while collaborating with other MEL students
- gain the fundamental business, project management and interpersonal skills to advance your career and confidently take on positions of increased responsibility
estimated value of the biochemical market
direct jobs in more than 7,300 businesses supported by forestry in Canada
of British Columbia is forested