What Will You Learn?
Strong leadership and business skills are essential for career success. As we developed the Advanced Materials Manufacturing program, our industry partners told us that they were looking for engineers who combined sector-specific technical skills with strong leadership skills.
While 60 per cent of your classes will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills.
See the big picture
The program incorporates advanced simulation tools and case studies. The project-based curriculum covers all stages of the industry value chain.
Deepen your technical skills
Working in collaboration with renowned faculty and industry experts at UBC’s high-tech facilities and multidisciplinary research centres, you will:
- explore advanced engineering technology
- compare complex multi-material engineering processes
- analyze the structure-property-process relationships inside materials manufacturing systems
- design prototype components
- plan a development cycle relevant to industry
- evaluate production challenges
Advanced simulation tools are an integral facet of the program, and you will gain foundational knowledge in the latest composites, light alloys and advanced high-strength steels.
Case studies are used to illustrate the design of materials manufacturing processes, valuate production challenges and apply data for technical and business decision-making.
You will work in world-class facilities, including the Advanced Materials and Process Engineering Laboratory – a multidisciplinary research centre where engineers, scientists and health scientists collaborate – and the Centre for Metallurgical Process Engineering – an internationally recognized interdisciplinary research centre.
Develop as a leader
You will complete courses on project management, organizational leadership, analytics for applied sciences, business acumen for technical leaders, and sustainability and leadership. These classes will empower you to:
- effectively deliver multidisciplinary projects and operational results
- use data for technical and business decision-making
- understand the critical components of how business works
- take on increasingly complex and high-profile leadership positions within organizations
Sharpen your business skills
Professional development workshops, delivered by industry leaders, are offered throughout the year-long program. They also provide opportunities to network with professionals from a wide range of industries, UBC faculty and students in the MEL and MHLP programs. These extra-curricular sessions cover topics such as:
- giving and receiving feedback
- learning how to deliver a successful pitch
- mastering meeting and email etiquette
- assessing and coaching others