UBC MEL MHLP Professional Leadership Master Degrees

Frequently Asked Questions

Check out our most frequently asked questions regarding:

If your question is not answered below,  contact us or join our Facebook group.

Programs Information

The MEL and MHLP are 12-month full-time degrees, or 24-month part-time degrees* starting in January each year.

*Part-time options available: MEL in Integrated Water Management and MEL in Urban Systems.

The MEL and MHLP courses begin in January and end in December. There is no fall intake (September).

All MEL and MHLP courses are held at the UBC Vancouver campus.

No. The MEL and MHLP are in-person degrees that are 12-month (full-time) or 24-month (part-time*) in duration.

*Part-time options available: MEL in Integrated Water Management and MEL in Urban Systems.

The MEL and MHLP are comprehensive professional graduate degree programs. It is mandatory that you attend classes and events.

Your class size will depend on the number of students enrolled in your specific program, and could range from five to 30 students. Some of your course classes may also include MEng or PhD students. Your leadership development courses will be attended by students from all MEL and MHLP degrees and could range from 70-100 students.

The MEL degree incorporates courses in leadership, business and communication that account for 40% of your course load. These courses are not available within traditional MEng programs, which tend to focus exclusively on technical knowledge.

In addition, the MEL degree is intended for professionals with three to five years of work experience, whereas the MEng degree is open to those who have just graduated with an undergraduate degree in engineering or a related field.

Being a professional program, there are no scholarships, grants or funding offered by UBC for MEL or MHLP students. Students who require financial assistance are encouraged to look for external scholarships or loans that may be available to you.

Check out the tuition and finances page for additional information.

Only students in programs that include a co-op component can use their 12 weeks of work experience towards the PEng accreditation. The only program that offers co-op is Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering.

You are far more likely to be accepted into a PhD program if you choose a Master’s degree that allows you to conduct research. The MHLP and MEL degrees do not contain any opportunity to publish research. As PhD programs are extremely competitive, if that is your ultimate goal, we encourage you to pursue a research based Master’s degree. That said, we have had students continue on to do a PhD after completing a MHLP and MEL degree and we would recommend that you research the requirements of the PhD you wish to pursue.

e@UBC provides real-world hands-on sessions for the UBC community that accelerate the growth of new ventures at all stages of development. The Lean LaunchPad Accelerator Program will help teams with innovative venture ideas greatly improve the odds of building a successful venture. Participants will apply an evidence-based approach to developing their new venture by generating business model hypotheses, testing those with end users and others in the ecosystem, and validating, eliminating or pivoting hypotheses. The ultimate outcome is a validated business model – the most critical initial step in the start-up journey.

Only five highly sought-after team spots are held for MEL and MHLP students. Interested students must (on their own time) form their team, decide on their venture idea and apply as a team by mid-April.

Eligibility Requirements

Not all MEL and MHLP programs require a minimum of three years of professional experience. Please check the eligibility requirements for the program you are interested in. Each application is assessed on an individual basis that takes into account work experience, references and your letter of intent.

If you do not meet all requirements, you may still be granted admission into the MEL or MHLP if other aspects of your application are strong. However, please note that the MEL and MHLP do require some professional experience as they are professional programs. For applicants who have none or very little professional experience, we recommend gaining more experience and applying in the future.

No. Most health-care professionals will be considered for the MHLP in Seniors Care or MHLP in Clinical Education.

No. Several of the MEL programs will consider applicants who do not have an engineering degree. Check the program you are interested in for its specific eligibility requirements.

If you do not meet the academic requirements, you may be granted admission to the MEL or MHLP if you:

  • have had other significant formal training, relevant professional experience, or
  • possess demonstrable knowledge or expertise that would prepare you for successful study in the graduate program.

If you completed your undergraduate degree at an institution where English was not the primary language of instruction, you must submit an English-language proficiency test no matter how long you have worked or lived in Canada, the US or another country where English is the dominant language.

No, you do not have to submit a GRE (Graduate Record Examinations) test score for the MEL or MHLP.

My Application

We encourage you to choose three referees who know your recent accomplishments in a professional, academic, or volunteer capacity. Referees should be people who know you well and can speak to your ability to succeed in your planned program of study, such as recent employers, managers, previous professors, etc…

The online application system asks you to provide an email address for each of your three referees. Once you pay your application fee and submit your application, your referees will be emailed instructions and asked to complete an online reference form. They also have the option to upload a reference letter. Free web-based email providers, such as Gmail and Hotmail, cannot access the online form and can only submit their reference via postal mail. We strongly recommend that, where possible, applicants pick referees that have a business or institution email addresses.

If your referee prefers to submit or must submit their reference via postal mail, please ensure they follow the instructions sent to them via email. Particularly, they must enclose their reference letter in an envelope and sign their name across the envelope seal. The reference letter must be mailed to our office directly from the referee.

It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the referees submit their references. Detailed instructions are provided in the email sent to your referee.

We do not accept references that are sent by the applicant via mail or emailed to us directly from the referee as we cannot guarantee their authenticity.

If your referee is not receiving the reference request email, please have your referee check his/her email inbox junk folder.

You can also re-send the email notification under the “manage references” section when you logon to the application portal.

If you need to change your referee, you can replace your referee under the “manage references” section of your application. You can only replace a referee once.

Only very limited edits can be made to your online application after it has been submitted. You can upload document to your application by logging in at evision.as.it.ubc.ca.

We ask you to upload the final version of your resume and statement of intent. If you upload multiple versions or try and replace these documents at a later date, they may not be included in the application review process.

You may replace each referee once, change referee email addresses, and send reminders to referees through the application system.

If you need to update your address, log in to My Applications and select “Update Personal or Contact Details”. For changes to personal information such as citizenship, date of birth, or name, please contact graduate.apply@ubc.ca and include the appropriate documentation (e.g. birth certificate) to support your request.

To check the status of your application and to provide any new information or updated documentation required, please log in to the application portal at evision.as.it.ubc.ca and look under “My Applications”. My Applications is also where you can find Information about your references and the status of your reference requests.

For updates regarding documents received please allow for 5 business day after the expected delivery for your documents to be received and processed by our office. Processing times for confirming documents received at peak times can be longer. Please check your online application regularly, as contacting us will only delay processing times.

A decision will be made one month after the deadline of each application round. You will be notified when a decision has been made. Check your email junk mail to ensure you haven’t missed a notification.

Your $ 5,000 deposit confirms your acceptance of the admissions offer and is non-refundable. However, if you are an international student and you are unable to obtain a student visa, the deposit will be refunded upon proof of your inability to obtain the visa.

In very specific circumstances, you may be granted a deferral. Please submit a deferral request outlining your reasons for deferring and your financial plan via email to the program administrator. If your deferral request is accepted, you will need to complete the conditions set out in your offer letter, this includes paying the non-refundable deposit. Please note that you are only eligible to defer for one year. If you are unable to attend, your application will be withdrawn and you will lose your non-refundable deposit.

The UBC MEL and MHLP Professional Leadership Master Degrees admits on a rolling basis with three application rounds. The deadlines below are for completed applications. This means you need to make sure we receive all your documents and reference by this date in order for your application to be reviewed.
• 1st Round: May 1, 2019 (Decision by June 1, 2019)
• 2nd Round: August 1, 2019 (Decision by September 1, 2019)
• Final Round: October 1, 2019 (Decision by November 1, 2019)*
*We highly recommend international students to apply by May 1st to ensure plenty of time to allow for the processing of study permits.

Online applications are open and accepting submissions for all January 2020 applications.

https://apscpp.ubc.ca/admissions/apply-now/#how_to_guideLooking to apply to the UBC Professional Leadership Master Degrees? Take a look at this simple 5 step video to help you understand the key stages and application requirements.

Looking for additional information – take a look at our how to guide.


The UBC Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Integrated Water Management and the MEL in Urban Systems are offered in a part-time capacity. By enrolling in a part-time program, students will extend the duration of their degree to 24 months (full time is 12 months). At this point in time are no plans to extend this offering to other specializations.

Apply Now

Join us and deepen your knowledge in your technical specialty and propel your career forward.

Apply Now

Keep Reading: How to Apply