If you’re thinking about concentrating your career in the advanced materials manufacturing sector, think about the difference a year at UBC can make. Build knowledge — Cross disciplines and boundaries — Gain confidence.
Develop solutions for a growing industry
In the last decade, it has become clear that companies must reinvent their advanced manufacturing capabilities to remain globally competitive. There is a pressing need for engineers with the technical skills and expertise to research, develop, test and optimize these next-generation manufacturing solutions. Engineers are also in high demand for their ability to develop advanced composite materials to create parts that are lighter and stronger and that offer better performance.
Deepen your technical and leadership skills
Advanced simulation tools are an integral facet of the program, and you will gain foundational knowledge in the latest composites, light alloys and advanced high-strength steels currently used and planned for the future. Combined with leadership courses to enhance business and communication skills, you will be equipped to develop innovative solutions, manage teams and direct projects.
Pursue opportunities and advance your career
Our graduates will be in demand locally, nationally and internationally in industries where the latest design solutions depend upon multi-material solutions. Read some of our alumni stories of how our graduates have gone on to excel their careers with their UBC MEL in Advanced Materials Manufacturing degree. Graduates of the program started in positions, such as:
- Operations Project Leader
- Quality Inspection Leader
- Chemical & Materials Testing Technician
Get a degree from a top ranked university
UBC and its programs have cultivated a world renowned reputation and top ranking among universities. Gaining your MEL in Advanced Materials Manufacturing degree will give you access to a network of successful individuals and associations with a well-respected institution. You will:
- be immersed in a dynamic research environment at UBC — an international leader in advanced materials manufacturing known for its deep expertise in metals and alloys, composites and associated manufacturing operations
- learn from world-renowned Faculty of Applied Science — including Program Directors Dr. Daan Maijer and Dr. Warren Poole who are experts in their field and who regularly partner with leading organizations such as Ford, GM, Toyota, Boeing, Airbus and Bombardier — and the UBC Sauder School of Business
- take courses with a cohort of like-minded peers — a group of engaged and ambitious professionals working in industries that include software, clean energy, urban infrastructure, naval architecture and marine engineering and more
- develop professional networks with top researchers, industry partners and motivated graduate students