Strong leadership and business skills are essential for career success. As we developed the Green Bio-Products program, our industry partners told us that they were looking for engineers who combined sector-specific technical skills with strong leadership skills.
While 60 per cent of your classes will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills.
See the big picture
The project-based curriculum covers all stages of the industry value chain. Graduates will gain a comprehensive and integrated understanding of the chemistry and anatomy of the tree and its role as one of the most prolific forms of biomass.
Deepen your technical skills
Working in collaboration with faculty and industry experts at UBC Vancouver Campus, you will graduate from the program with a strong knowledge of the chemistry and anatomy of the tree, lignocellulosic separation chemistry and the production pathways for biocomposites and fuels.
You will explore:
- the anatomy, physiology and composition of forest biomass
- lignocellulosic separation chemistry
- production pathways for biocomposites and fuels
- the spectrum of potential green products and fuels
- public policy as it relates to this sector
You’ll work at the UBC Pulp and Paper Centre, which has conducted advanced forest products and biomaterials research for over 30 years. You will also have the opportunity to work with experts from both Applied Science and Forestry.
Develop as a leader
You will complete courses on project management, organizational leadership, analytics for applied sciences, business acumen for technical leaders, and sustainability and leadership. These classes will empower you to:
- effectively deliver multidisciplinary projects and operational results
- use data for technical and business decision-making
- understand the critical components of how business works
- take on increasingly complex and high-profile leadership positions within organizations
Sharpen your business skills
Professional development workshops, delivered by industry leaders, are offered throughout the year-long program. They also provide opportunities to network with professionals from a wide range of industries, UBC faculty and students in the MEL and MHLP programs. These extra-curricular sessions cover topics such as:
- giving and receiving feedback
- learning how to deliver a successful pitch
- mastering meeting and email etiquette
- assessing and coaching others