Program update: This program is currently under review. We are planning on relaunching this program with a January 2020 intake. Further details to be released in the coming months.
Want to be notified of updates? Stay informed with the latest information by subscribing online today.
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Green Bio-Products covers all stages of the industry value chain. You’ll gain a comprehensive understanding of the chemistry and anatomy of the tree and its role as one of the most prolific forms of biomass.
Collaborating with your peers under the direction of leading researchers and instructors from industry, you will work in world-class facilities and multidisciplinary research centres to advance your knowledge of:
- production pathways for biocomposites and fuels
- the spectrum of potential green products and fuels
- public policy as it relates to this sector
Professional success requires both technical understanding and managerial and business competence. Through courses offered by UBC Sauder School of Business, you will explore business strategy and innovation, organizational leadership and issues in sustainability. These classes enable you to gain foundational business knowledge in:
- managing processes in manufacturing systems and supply chains
- assessing visual analytics techniques for analysis and communication
- evaluating project management processes and demonstrating their use
- analyzing sustainability opportunities across a range of industries
- presenting recommendations for organizational leadership challenges using a case study analysis approach
- understanding business decision-making through the lens of key functional areas (strategy, marketing, operations and logistics, accounting and finance, human resources and organizational behaviour, and entrepreneurship)
- understanding the basic principles of organizational strategy and innovation
Leadership and interpersonal skills
Effectively managing people and successfully leading teams requires a wide range of interpersonal skills. The MEL offers professional development workshops throughout the 12-month program. These extra-curricular sessions cover topics that include communication, teamwork, coaching and mentoring. Group projects and collaborative problem-solving are embedded into the MEL courses, creating ongoing opportunities for you to practise your skills as a manager and leader.
“The MEL introduces students to the skills they need to get team members working together effectively and to manage large projects and systems — and it gives them lots of opportunities to practice these skills over the year.” – Dr. Ziad Shawwash