Invest In Your Next Leader
Many organizations are challenged to find leaders who have both a deep knowledge of their technical specialty and a solid understanding of business strategy and management. That’s why we created, in collaboration with industry, the Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) and Master of Health Leadership and Policy (MHLP) degree programs. By integrating technical and business education, our 12-month programs produce graduates who are optimally positioned to lead interdisciplinary teams, develop innovative solutions to complex problems, and bridge the gap between the business and technical functions of your organizations.
Invest in your leaders
Encouraging your top-performing employees to pursue a Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) or Master of Health Leadership and Policy (MHLP) degree is a strategic investment in your organization’s future. A Business Council of Canada survey identified the workforce challenges faced by 90 leading Canadian employers. These challenges included:
- developing capacity for management/leadership roles (68%)
- driving a high-performance culture (51%)
- driving a culture of innovation (34%)
- retaining talent in leadership roles or roles critical for future success (33%)
The MEL and MHLP were specifically designed to address these challenges. The two programs combine sector-specific courses taught by researchers working at the top of their field with courses in business strategy and management taught by professors from the number 1 ranked business school in Canada, UBC Sauder School of Business.
A unique program for forward-thinking professionals
There’s a powerful synergy that comes from combining sector-specific technical classes with courses on business. During the 12-month program, our students develop the wide-ranging skills they need to successfully move into roles of greater responsibility, lead and motivate teams, contribute to a high-performance culture, and develop and implement innovative solutions.
The MEL and MHLP offer other distinct advantages over traditional professional postgraduate degrees:
- One-of-a-kind programs: The MEL is the only full-time master’s-level engineering program in Canada that combines sector specialization with business and leadership development. And the MHLP is unique in North America for combining health-care specialization with business and leadership development.
- Industry-driven relevance: We developed the project-based curricula in consultation with leading private and public sector organizations that are recognized as innovators. The content is relevant and designed to meet the needs of today’s forward-thinking organizations.
- Outstanding networking opportunities: Our students study alongside of other highly motivated professionals with wide-ranging industry experience. They are taught by award-winning instructors from both the Faculty of Applied Science and UBC Sauder School of Business.
While both programs were developed as full-time learning experiences, some students continue to work part-time while completing their 12-month program. Two sector specializations – integrated water management and urban systems – also offer a 24-month part-time option.
An investment in your future
Supporting your employees’ professional development is an investment worth making– ensuring that your organization stays stay up to date with the latest industry developments and that your leaders have what it takes to help your organization successfully navigate complex change.
Learn more about how the MEL or MHLP can help you lead change in your industry, giving you the technical knowledge, foundational business skills and leadership confidence to excel in your career. UBC MEL and MHLP Professional Leadership Master Degrees offer the MEL in sector-specific programs, including Clean Energy Engineering, High Performance Buildings, Integrated Water Management, and Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering and Urban Systems. The MHLP is additionally offered in sector-specific programs, including Clinical Education and Seniors Care.