The Master of Health Leadership and Policy (MHLP) in Clinical Education is structured around a project-based curriculum that covers all stages of the industry value chain, from understanding the context of clinical education to leading clinical education and organizational operations.
Deepen your technical skills
Working in collaboration with faculty and health-sector professionals at the UBC Vancouver campus, you will graduate with the ability to:
- analyze professional practice standards and regulatory policies to determine their implications for clinical practice education
- analyze practice trends and issues to identify practitioners’ knowledge gaps and develop an educational strategy to address them
- design learning experiences to enable students to develop clinical judgement in complex practice environments
- use technologies and simulation as learning strategies
- consider clinical education within the context of broader organizational goals and mandates
Professional success requires both specialized health-care knowledge and managerial and business competence. Through courses offered by UBC Sauder School of Business, you will explore data analysis, project management and organizational leadership.
These classes enable you to gain foundational business knowledge in:
- assessing visual analytics techniques for analysis and communication
- evaluating project management processes and demonstrating their use
- analyzing sustainability opportunities across a range of industries
- using a case study analysis approach to develop recommendations for organizational leadership challenges
- understanding business decision-making through the lens of key functional areas (strategy, marketing, operations and logistics, accounting and finance, human resources and organizational behaviour, and entrepreneurship)
“Clinical educators must know how to coach and mentor, provide effective feedback, evaluate performance, and work with individuals to build their critical thinking and clinical reasoning skills.” – Cheryl Segaric
Leadership and interpersonal skills
Effectively managing people and successfully leading teams requires a wide range of interpersonal skills. The MHLP offers professional development workshops throughout the 12-month program. These extra-curricular sessions cover topics that include communication, teamwork, coaching and mentoring. Group projects and collaborative problem-solving are embedded into the MEL courses, creating ongoing opportunities for you to practice your skills as a manager and leader.