Part-time MHLP meets the needs of working professionals
Starting in January 2021, students in the Master of Health Leadership and Policy (MHLP) Clinical Education and Seniors Care programs can choose from either a 24-month option or the standard 12-month program.
“The new 24-month part-time option enables our students to choose the program length that best fits with their professional and personal goals and responsibilities,” says Jennifer Baumbusch, director of the MHLP.
“Studying part-time also brings greater integration between work and study so that students can immediately apply insights gained in the classroom to their workplace and bring their daily professional experience to enhance their classroom experience.”
Year one: A focus on business and leadership
The first 12 months of the program immerse students in foundational business strategy and concepts. Students will complete 15 credits, consisting of all five required MHLP business leadership courses and two health-care electives. Please note that the following schedule is tentative and subject to change.
- January to April: Students complete two business leadership classes, scheduled on Monday and Wednesday morning. Students in the Seniors Care program will take one of their health-care electives this semester, held on Monday or Wednesday afternoon.
- May to July: Students in both the Seniors Care and Clinical Education programs will complete a course on Research and Evidence-Based Practice in healthcare.
- August: Students take the Business Acumen for Technical Leaders course in the first three weeks of August. The half-day classes are held four to five days a week and group work is required when not in class session (the remainder of the day). A final exam is held on the Monday morning of the fourth week in August.
- September to December: Students complete two business and leadership classes on Monday and Wednesday mornings. Clinical Education students will complete one of their health-care electives this semester, held on Monday or Wednesday afternoon.
Year two: An immersion in the core health-care courses
In the final 12 months of the program, students take the five required core health-care classes (15 credits) for their program.
Knowing your timetable ahead of time is an important consideration for both you and your employer. Course schedules will generally be available a few weeks before the start of each semester.
Tuition fees for the part-time option are the same as those for the full-time program, but spread over six installment payments over the 24 months of the program. Tuition fees are based on the entry year and do not increase in the second year of the program.
The 24-month part-time year program tuition fees for 2021 entrants are as follows:
- CAD 29,810.16 for domestic students (Canadian citizens and permanent residents)
- CAD 54,367.08 for international students
Greater flexibility for practising professionals
The MHLP is an innovative hybrid graduate degree that develops students’ technical knowledge and business and leadership skills. This new 24-month part-time option for students in Clinical Education and Seniors Care enables practising professionals to acquire a graduate degree in their area of specialization while continuing to work and advance their career.