What Will You Learn?
Strong leadership and business skills are essential for career success. As we developed this program, our industry partners told us that they were looking for engineers and architects who combined sector-specific technical skills with strong leadership skills.
While 60 per cent of your classes will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills.
See the big picture
The project-based curriculum has three primary areas of focus: architectural courses on green building design and regenerative development engineering courses on energy modelling and design, and two interdisciplinary capstone projects where you will work with clients to develop real-world solutions to their design challenges.
Deepen your technical skills
Working in collaboration with faculty and industry experts at the UBC Vancouver campus, you will graduate from the program with the skills needed to:
- understand the critical issues in green buildings, from the planning stages through to implementation and operation
- implement energy modelling applications and be able to design the associated state-of-the-art building systems
- use skills in project management, leadership, team building, effective communications and sustainability to deliver multidisciplinary projects
- use data appropriately for technical and business decision-making
- apply advanced life-cycle assessment methods to projects, products and services in resource industries
- perform risk analysis and uncertainty analysis for complex environmental systems and apply multi-criteria decision-making frameworks for risk management
Develop as a leader
You will complete courses on project management, organizational leadership, analytics for applied sciences, business acumen for technical leaders, and sustainability and leadership. These classes will empower you to:
- effectively deliver multidisciplinary projects and operational results
- use data for technical and business decision-making
- understand the critical components of how business works
- take on increasingly complex and high-profile leadership positions within organizations
Sharpen your business skills
Professional development workshops, delivered by industry leaders, are offered throughout the year-long program.They also provide opportunities to network with professionals from a wide range of industries, UBC faculty and students in the MEL and MHLP programs. These extra-curricular sessions cover topics such as:
- giving and receiving feedback
- learning how to deliver a successful pitch
- mastering meeting and email etiquette
- assessing and coaching others