“Sustainable Process Engineering is the new Green Bio-Products”
The MEL in Green Bio-Products has been updated and replaced with the MEL in Sustainable Process Engineering, which has welcomed its first cohort of students in January 2021.
As part of our ongoing review of the MEL, we saw opportunities to enhance the Green Bio-Products program. That’s led to the creation of the MEL in Sustainable Process Engineering, which will equip its graduates to lead the paradigm shift needed in our industrial economy to meet the twin challenges of maintaining economic progress and environmental stewardship.
The following information about the MEL in Green Bio-Products summarizes the goals and outcomes of the program as a record for employers and past graduates.
The MEL in Green Bio-Products was offered between 2016 and 2018 as a professional degree for engineers and environmental science graduates who wanted to excel and drive innovation in the green bio-economy. This interdisciplinary master’s program combined graduate-level engineering courses with UBC Sauder’s Robert H. Lee Graduate School courses – giving students the skills and confidence to take their careers in new directions.
The program covered all stages of the industry value chain to deepen students’ understanding of the chemistry and anatomy of the tree and its role as one of the most prolific forms of biomass.
Graduates of the program:
- broadened their knowledge of chemistry and the production pathways for bio composites and fuels
- deepened their understanding of the chemistry and construction of forest biomass, providing a foundation from which to develop advanced processes and come up with ideas for new bio-products
- sharpened their technical and analytical skills through a project-based curriculum that covered all stages of the industry value chain and advanced knowledge of production pathways for biocomposites and fuels, the spectrum of potential green products and fuels, and public policy as it relates to this sector
- studied under renowned faculty and industry experts at one of the world’s top 40 universities
- expanded their professional network while collaborating with other MEL students
- gained the fundamental business, project management and interpersonal skills to advance their career and confidently take on positions of increased responsibility
Sustainable Process Engineering
Translate innovations in green chemistry and sustainable manufacturing into entrepreneurial ventures.Read More