What Will You Learn?
Through its unique blend of technical courses, leadership development courses and ongoing professional development opportunities, the MHLP in Seniors Care will accelerate your career.
Deepen your technical skills
The project-based curriculum follows the industry value chain, maintaining a strong focus on organizational models of practice that promote ethical, equitable and socially sustainable policies and practices in Seniors care.
Working in collaboration with faculty and public and private sector care providers, you will graduate from this program with the ability to:
- deliver multidisciplinary projects and operational results by applying project management tools, leading and influencing the organization, and building and working with teams;
- understand the critical components of how the business works;
- analyze and use data for technical and business decision making; and
- understand and appreciate non-technical issues that impact the sector.
Learning will take place at UBC, complemented by fieldwork components held in a wide array of clinical and community partners’ facilities.
Read more about the technical courses included within this program.
Develop as a leader
Strong leadership and business skills are essential for career success. As we developed this program, our industry partners told us that they were looking for health care professionals who combined sector-specific technical skills with strong leadership skills.
While 60 per cent of your classes will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills.
You will complete courses on project management, organizational leadership, analytics for applied sciences, business acumen for technical leaders, and sustainability and leadership. These classes will empower you to:
- effectively deliver multidisciplinary projects and operational results
- use data for technical and business decision-making
- understand the critical components of how business works
- take on increasingly complex and high-profile leadership positions within organizations
Sharpen your business skills
Professional development workshops, delivered by industry leaders, are offered throughout the year-long program. These extra-curricular sessions cover topics such as:
- giving and receiving feedback
- learning how to deliver a successful pitch
- mastering meeting and email etiquette
- assessing and coaching others
The workshops also provide opportunities to network with professionals from a wide range of industries, UBC faculty and students in the MEL and MHLP programs.