Clinical Education

What Will You Learn?

Through its unique blend of technical courses, leadership development courses and ongoing professional development opportunities, the MHLP in Clinical Education will accelerate your career.

Deepen your technical skills

The project-based curriculum follows the industry value chain – from understanding the context of clinical education to leading clinical education and organizational operations.

Clinical Education

Working in collaboration with faculty and industry experts at the UBC Vancouver campus, you will graduate from the program with the critical thinking and practical skills needed to manage and lead clinical education teams within diverse institutions. You will be equipped to:

  • analyze professional practice standards and regulatory policies to determine their implications for clinical practice education;
  • analyze practice trends and issues to identify practitioners’ knowledge gaps and develop an educational strategy to address them;
  • design learning experiences to enable students to develop clinical judgement in complex practice environments;
  • use technologies and simulation as learning strategies; and
  • consider clinical education within the context of broader organizational goals and mandates.

Read more about the advanced courses related to clinical education included within this program.

Develop as a leader

Strong leadership and business skills are essential for career success. As we developed this program, our industry partners told us that they were looking for health care professionals who combined strengths in clinical education with strong leadership skills.

While 60 per cent of your classes will focus on technical specialization in clinical education, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills.

You will complete courses on project management, organizational leadership, analytics for applied sciences, business acumen for technical leaders, and sustainability and leadership. These classes will empower you to:

  • effectively deliver multidisciplinary projects and operational results;
  • use data for technical and business decision-making;
  • understand the critical components of how business works; and
  • take on increasingly complex and high-profile leadership positions within organizations.

Sharpen your business skills

Professional development workshops, delivered by industry leaders, are offered throughout the year-long program. These extra-curricular sessions cover topics such as:

  • giving and receiving feedback
  • learning how to deliver a successful pitch
  • mastering meeting and email etiquette
  • assessing and coaching others

The workshops also provide opportunities to network with professionals from a wide range of industries, UBC faculty and students in the MEL and MHLP programs.

Keep Reading: Course Information