What Will You Learn?
Through its unique blend of technical courses, leadership development courses and ongoing professional development opportunities, the MEL in Resource Engineering Management, at UBC Okanagan in Kelowna, will accelerate your career.
Deepen your technical skills
The project-based curriculum covers all stages of the industry value chain – from policy and regulations to infrastructure performance and operational performance.
Working in collaboration with faculty and industry experts at the UBC Okanagan campus, you will graduate from the program with the skills needed to:
- apply provincial and federal laws governing resource management;
- implement the technical and practical aspects of infrastructure performance;
- apply practices, techniques and methods of sustainable resource management;
- master statistical methods in the context of reliability, engineering and system safety;
- apply advanced life-cycle assessment methods to projects, products and services in resource industries; and
- perform risk analysis and uncertainty analysis for complex environmental systems, and apply multi-criteria decision-making frameworks for risk management.
Read more about the technical courses included within this program.
Develop as a leader
Strong leadership and business skills are essential for career success. As we developed this program, our industry partners told us that they were looking for engineers who combined sector-specific technical skills with strong leadership skills.
While 60 per cent of your classes will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills.
You will complete courses on project management, organizational leadership, analytics for applied sciences, business acumen for technical leaders, and sustainability and leadership. These classes will empower you to:
- effectively deliver multidisciplinary projects and operational results
- use data for technical and business decision-making
- understand the critical components of how business works
- take on increasingly complex and high-profile leadership positions within organizations
Sharpen your business skills
Honing your professional development skills throughout the year-long program. Topics woven into the professional platform courses will include topics such as:
- giving and receiving feedback
- learning how to deliver a successful pitch
- mastering meeting and email etiquette
- assessing and coaching others