The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering is an intensive one-year degree program intended for engineers three to five years or more into their careers. This program combines the engineering and physics of ship design with broad business and leadership training. For more recent engineering graduates, UBC also offers a more technical Master of Engineering degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering.
There is a growing need for talented engineers who can bridge the gap between technical staff and business leaders. Graduates of the MEL program will be highly sought after for their ability to bridge this divide and for their unique combination of leadership and technical sector-specific skills.
Propel your career forward
This unique master’s degree program will:
- equip you with the ability to manage complex shipbuilding design and procurement programs and become fully qualified in ship project management;
- broaden your sector-relevant skills through a project-based curriculum that covers all stages of the industry value chain;
- provide a dynamic learning environment that includes the option of a 12-week co-op work program;
- offer opportunities for you to collaborate with world-renowned faculty and industry experts; and
- help you advance your career by balancing technical learning with in-depth leadership courses on project management, business and communication.
You are eligible for this program if you meet the MEL admission requirements and you have:
- an undergraduate degree in engineering; and
- three or more years of relevant work experience.
As a graduate of this program, you will have the technical and leadership skills to take your career to the next level.
ships in the world
average age of the world fleet
oceangoing ships built annually
Featured Faculty and Staff
"Students in the MEL in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering program will have many opportunities to work on technical engineering projects alongside industry partners."