What Will You Learn?
Through its unique blend of technical courses, leadership development courses and ongoing professional development opportunities, the MEL in Dependable Software Systems will accelerate your career.
Deepen your technical skills
The project-based curriculum covers all stages of the industry value chain. Graduates will confidently translate research ideas into practice while developing a deep understanding of how software-intensive systems are engineered through collaboration.
Working in collaboration with faculty and industry experts at UBC’s renowned Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, you will:
- understand how software-intensive systems are engineered through collaborative processes;
- deepen your understanding of leading teams in collaborative system development;
- master and apply core disciplinary knowledge as it relates to software testing and verification, dependable computing systems design and implementation, and secure computing systems;
- develop your skills in problem formulation, organization and planning;
- gain exposure to dependability issues in the most common software-intensive industries; and
- gain project design experience in an application area.
You will work in advanced electrical engineering and computer labs that were designed to promote collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Read more about the technical courses included within this program.
Develop as a leader
Strong leadership and business skills are essential for career success. As we developed this program, our industry partners told us that they were looking for engineers who combined sector-specific technical skills with strong leadership skills.
While 60 per cent of your classes will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills.
You will complete courses on project management, organizational leadership, analytics for applied sciences, business acumen for technical leaders, and sustainability and leadership. These classes will empower you to:
- effectively deliver multidisciplinary projects and operational results
- use data for technical and business decision-making
- understand the critical components of how business works
- take on increasingly complex and high-profile leadership positions within organizations
Sharpen your business skills
Professional development workshops, delivered by industry leaders, are offered throughout the year-long program. These extra-curricular sessions cover topics such as:
- giving and receiving feedback
- learning how to deliver a successful pitch
- mastering meeting and email etiquette
- assessing and coaching others
The workshops also provide opportunities to network with professionals from a wide range of industries, UBC faculty and students in the MEL and MHLP programs.