What Will You Learn?
Through its unique blend of technical courses, leadership development courses and ongoing professional development opportunities, the MEL in Clean Energy Engineering will accelerate your career.
Deepen your technical skills
The project-based curriculum covers all stages of the industry value chain and exposes you to alternative energy systems including hydro, wind, solar, tidal, geothermal and other emerging technologies.
Working in collaboration with faculty and industry experts at UBC’s internationally renowned Clean Energy Research Centre, you will deepen your technical and operational understanding of:
- conventional thermal systems and alternative energy technologies
- energy storage and transportation in terms of both technology and optimization
- strategic energy management
- the impact of various energy systems on the environment and potential routes to reduce pollution and develop sustainable clean energy systems
- the social and political dimension of energy efficiency and conservation, energy policy and economics
You will work in world-class facilities, including the Clean Energy Research Centre. This interdisciplinary research centre brings together engineers and industry partners who collaborate to develop practical solutions that can reduce the environmental impact of energy use and seek sustainable solutions.
Read more about the technical courses included within this program.
Develop as a leader
Strong leadership and business skills are essential for career success. As we developed this program, our industry partners told us that they were looking for engineers who combined sector-specific technical skills with strong leadership skills.
While 60 per cent of your classes will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills.
You will complete courses on project management, organizational leadership, analytics for applied sciences, business acumen for technical leaders, and sustainability and leadership. These classes will empower you to:
- effectively deliver multidisciplinary projects and operational results
- use data for technical and business decision-making
- understand the critical components of how business works
- take on increasingly complex and high-profile leadership positions within organizations
Sharpen your business skills
Professional development workshops, delivered by industry leaders, are offered throughout the year-long program. These extra-curricular sessions cover topics such as:
- giving and receiving feedback
- learning how to deliver a successful pitch
- mastering meeting and email etiquette
- assessing and coaching others
The workshops also provide opportunities to network with professionals from a wide range of industries, UBC faculty and students in the MEL and MHLP programs.