UBC Applied Science Professional Programs

Frequently Asked Questions

Check out our most frequently asked questions regarding:

If your question is not answered below, join our Facebook group or contact us.

Programs Information

The MEL and MHLP programs are one-year, in-person programs. The programs begin in January and end in December each year.

No. The MEL and MHLP programs begin in January and end in December each year.

All MEL and MHLP programs are held at the UBC Vancouver campus, with the exception of the MEL in Resource Management, which is held at UBC Okanagan.

No. The MEL and MHLP programs are in-person, full-time degree programs that are one year in length.

Your class size will depend on the number of students enrolled in your specific program, and could range from five to 30 students. Some of your program classes may also include MEng or PhD students. Your leadership development courses will be attended by students from all the MEL and MHLP programs and could range from 70-100 students.

The MEL and MHLP are intense professional graduate degree programs. It is mandatory that you attend classes and events. As such, we do not recommend that you attempt to work while taking this program.

Students in the Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering program can participate in a 12-week co-op work experience. This is the only program that currently offers co-op opportunities.

No, UBC does not offer any scholarships, grants or funding.

However, UBC offers a limited number of $5,000 merit-based entrance awards. Those are given to a select few based on a student professional and academic experience. All students who submit their application prior to July 1st are automatically considered for the awards. The program director(s) review the submitted applications and inform the successful applicants before the program starts in January.

Students who require financial assistance are encouraged to look for external scholarships or loans that may be available to them

If you are in the program with a co-op placement – Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering – you are required to apply for your co-op job using UBC’s extensive database of co-op job postings. You must then successfully complete an interview with your potential employer to gain a co-op placement. The Co-op Program cannot guarantee that you will secure a co-op job as the hiring decision is that of the co-op employer. However, dedicated co-op staff will provide you with pre-employment training before you apply for positions (posted on the extensive database of co-op postings and through your independent job search), job search coaching and support with the job application process, interviewing and placement.

Only students in programs that include a co-op component can use their 12 weeks of work experience towards the PEng accreditation. The only program that offers co-op is Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering.

The MEL degree incorporates courses in leadership, business and communication that account for 40% of your course load. These courses are not available within traditional MEng programs, which tend to focus exclusively on technical knowledge. In addition, the MEL degree is intended for professionals with three to five years of work experience, whereas the MEng degree is open to those who have just graduated with an undergraduate degree in engineering or a related field.

Graduation ceremonies are held in May of the year following your successful completion of the MEL or MHLP program. You will receive more information about graduation during the year.

The MHLP in Clinical Education is pending approval from the BC Ministry of Advanced Education and is not currently accepting applications. Contact us for more details.

Eligibility Requirements

Not all MEL and MHLP programs require a minimum of three years of professional experience. Please check the eligibility requirements for the program you are interested in. Each application is assessed on an individual basis that takes into account work experience, references and your letter of intent.

No. Most health-care professionals will be considered for the MHLP in Seniors Care or MHLP in Clinical Education.

No. Several of the MEL programs will consider applicants who do not have an engineering degree. Check the program you are interested in for its specific eligibility requirements.

If you do not meet the academic requirements, you may be granted admission to the program if you:

  • have had other significant formal training, relevant professional experience, or
  • possess demonstrable knowledge or expertise that would prepare you for successful study in the graduate program.

You may be granted admission with the recommendation of the Program Director and the approval of the Associate Dean of Applied Science.

If you completed your undergraduate degree at an institution where English was not the primary language of instruction, you must submit an English-language proficiency test no matter how long you have worked or lived in Canada, the US or another country where English is the dominant language.

Courses with the code APPP (platform courses), e.g. APPP 501, are only available to MHLP and MEL students. However, you are eligible to take technical specialized classes (pillar courses), e.g. CEEN 523 with approval from the course instructor.

Courses with the code APPP (platform courses), e.g. APPP 501, are only available to MHLP and MEL students. However, you are eligible to take technical specialized classes (pillar courses), e.g. CEEN 523 with approval from the course instructor.

My Application

You will need references from three individuals who can speak to your ability to succeed in your planned program of study. We encourage you to choose referees who know your recent accomplishments in an academic, professional or volunteer capacity.

You can track the status of your application by logging into the application portal at evision.as.it.ubc.ca. Please allow for two weeks after the expected delivery for your documents to be received and processed by our office.

It usually takes a minimum of six weeks for us to review a complete application that includes all reference letters. We will contact you as soon as we have made a decision about your application.

No. We are unable to help you with your student visa application. You can learn more about required immigration documents and study permits for international students, and the International Student Guide has some useful resources as well.

Your conditional letter should be sufficient for your study permit application requirements. However, we understand that in some cases it is easier to obtain a student visa if you have an unconditional acceptance letter. We are unable to issue an unconditional letter of acceptance until we receive sealed and stamped copies of your transcripts and they are assessed by our program administrators. Please apply as early as possible to avoid delays.

Your $5,000 deposit confirms your acceptance of the admissions offer and is non-refundable. However, if you are an international student and are unable to obtain a student visa, the program deposit will be refunded upon proof of your inability to obtain the visa.

The Program Director may grant a deferral in very specific circumstances. Please submit a deferral request case outlining your reasons for deferral and your financial plan (if applicable) via email to the program administrator. To accept a deferral standing, you must pay the $5,000 deposit immediately.

Once you have paid your $5,000 deposit, you will be automatically registered for all mandatory courses for the first semester.

No. If you are interested in living in on-campus housing, you need to submit a separate application. Demand for residence is high, so it is a good idea to submit your application for residence at the same time that you submit your application to the MEL or MHLP program. You do not have to wait for an offer of admission to apply for residence. Learn more.