The general requirements for admission to the Faculty of Applied Science professional programs are:
- An undergraduate degree. If you are applying to the Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) program you will need a degree in engineering or a related field. If you are applying to the Master of Health Leadership and Policy (MHLP) program you will need a degree in health care or a related field. Both programs require an overall average of 76% (UBC-equivalency) on your undergraduate coursework.
- Three years of relevant work and industry experience.
- Proof of English-language proficiency if your undergraduate degree was not completed at an English-speaking university.
- Proof of citizenship for domestic and international students.
Please check the individual program pages for eligibility requirements, as some programs have different requirements than those outlined here. The information about your the different MEL and MHLP programs can be found under the Programs menu
If your past post-secondary study is from a university where a language other than English was the official language of instruction, you must take and pass one of the following English language proficiency exams:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language):
- A minimum score of 90 (internet-based exam), with minimum component scores of 22 [in reading, listening] and minimum component score of 21 [in writing, speaking];
- Minimum score 55 each for reading, listening, and writing (in the paper-based test), with 4.0 on the Test of Written English (TWE).
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service): minimum overall band score of 6.5 with no other component score less than 6.0 of the academic (NOT general) IELTS test
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery): minimum overall score of 81
- PTE (Pearson Test of English – Academic): minimum overall score of 59
- CELPIP (Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program): minimum scores of 4L/4L/4L
- CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language Assessment): minimum overall score of 60
English language proficiency tests must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of your application. Students must submit their official test results directly to UBC via the instructions on the Application Checklist in order for your application to be complete.