Before you apply online, please review the deadlines, admission requirements and application process described below.
The one-year, full-time MEL degree and MHLP degree programs begin in January and end in December. January is the only intake date and only full-time study is available at this time. There is no summer or fall intake.
The next program intake will be in January 2018. Applications are now open. Deadlines:
- July 1, 2017, international students
- October 1, 2017, domestic students (Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada)
Students who applied before July 1 were automatically considered for a limited number of $5,000 awards. You did not need to submit a separate application for these scholarships. Successful recipients will be notified before the program starts in January.
The general requirements for admission to the Faculty of Applied Science professional programs are:
- An undergraduate degree. If you are applying to the Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) program you will need a degree in engineering or a related field. If you are applying to the Master of Health Leadership and Policy (MHLP) program you will need a degree in health care or a related field. Both programs require an overall average of 76% (UBC-equivalency) on your undergraduate coursework.
- Three years of relevant work and industry experience.
- Proof of English-language proficiency if your undergraduate degree was not completed at an English-speaking university.
- Proof of citizenship for domestic and international students.
Please check the individual program pages for eligibility requirements, as some programs have different requirements than those outlined here. The information about your the different MEL and MHLP programs can be found under the Programs menu.
- Review the application checklist and make sure you have the supporting documentation needed to complete your application.
- Apply online and pay the application fee.
- Submit all additional supporting documentation for your application.
- The program directors will review all applications received. If you are successful, we aim to send you a conditional offer of admission within six weeks after the receipt of your completed submission.
- If you wish to accept our offer of admission, you must:
- submit a non-refundable $5,000 deposit to confirm your acceptance of the admission offer (this deposit will be credited to your first tuition payment);
- arrange to have your official transcripts sent directly to the Faculty of Applied Science; and
- fulfil any other conditions described in your conditional offer of admission.
- We will then send you an unconditional letter of acceptance, along with a welcome package and arrival checklist.
Note that the MEL in High Performance Buildings, MEL in Resource Engineering Management and MHLP in Clinical Education are pending approval from the BC Ministry of Advanced Education and are not currently accepting applications.
Students from the inaugural cohort of the UBC Masters of Engineering Leadership (MEL) and Masters of Health Leadership and Policy (MHLP) programs gathered with faculty and …Read More